etnobofin

Free Parking for improvisation in multiple environments.

Sunday, January 09, 2005

Tight

Last night went to see OdESSA at Safari Lounge. Two other bands from Christchurch and Dunedin also played, but I'd prefer to not to talk about them.

So yeah, pretty much as expected, OdESSA once again proved that they are one of the absolute best live acts in this country, and Pender is up there with some of the best frontmen I've ever seen - and that includes Beck! They deserve a much bigger audience and far more exposure, and they're such a lovely bunch of chaps too.

Also, while I'm in reviewing mode, I saw The Motorcycle Diaries last week. Unlike OdESSA, I'm not sure that the film quite lived up to its hype. The scenery, spanning Patagonia to Amazonia via Valparaiso and the Andes certainly confirmed a personal desire to travel in South America one day, and as a document of a journey and an awakening conciousness, the film was fairly effective. I just get the impression that the shadow of Che Guevara still looms too large today for this film to be taken for what it is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home