etnobofin

Free Parking for improvisation in multiple environments.

Friday, December 23, 2005

Almost Christmas: Part II

Benjamin Britten's Ceremony of Carols was written during an uncomfortable 1942 voyage in a cargo convoy from New York to Liverpool, at the height of the Battle of the Atlantic. Britten had been living in the United States since 1939, prior to the outbreak of hostilities, and the convoy was his only option to return to England in wartime.



Many of the texts used for the carols were taken from a collection of medieaval texts Britten found while his ship was docked in a port in Nova Scotia. The music, written for harp and a choir of boy sopranos, possesses a calm light and joy that defies the fog of war that loomed at the time of its creation.

This particular version of Ceremony is sung by the Choir of King's College Cambridge, directed by Sir David Willcocks and recorded in July 1972. Two of my favourite movements.

Choir of King's College Cambridge - There is No Rose (Op.28, III)
Choir of King's College Cambridge - Spring Carol (Op. 28, IX)
From Britten Choral Works: EMI 62797 [Buy]

Posting activity for the next week or so will be limited. I am going to be enjoying time with family, time on the beach, and time on the water. I wish everyone reading this a happy and peaceful Christmas, wherever and whoever you are.


6 Comments:

  • At 6:15 PM, Blogger Rushan said…

    Frightening.....this is probably among my top 5 choral works, and I've been listening to it endlessly of late AND I was going to post something about it as well (which I might still do).

     
  • At 9:54 PM, Blogger etnobofin said…

    "Frightening": what's been said recently about evil twins...? I would be really interested to read your thoughts on this work, because I've been thrashing this album lately (I'm not sure if "thrashing" is the right word for a CD of devotional choral work). So I hope I haven't stolen any of your blogthunder.

    "There is no rose" is a melody that has haunted me since I was at least 12 years old. I am glad that there is somebody else who share some of my enthusiasm for this work!

    Peace/arohanui

     
  • At 11:04 PM, Blogger Nick said…

    Man that lester bowie stuff is crazy!!! So weird..wow. The Kings college stuff, as weird and crazy as this may sound has been on my "listen to obsessively" list for the last week+. I have always loved this choir after Rushan introduced us, and I picked up this album not all that long ago here. Unsuprisingly it is alot easier to find King's college choir stuff in Vienna than in Charlottetown. I think this is the first time that we have had a triplet experience:P

    Cheers,

    Nick

    P.S - Richard, check out the new song of the week on my blog. You might be interested, if you haven't heard it before.

     
  • At 11:18 AM, Blogger etnobofin said…

    Cool! The evil triplets defy time and space to listen to the same music! Hahahahaha (*evil triplet laugh*). See my comments over on your blog about Bowie and Maurice Andre :-) Later

     
  • At 6:08 PM, Blogger DJ durutti said…

    Yo etno --

    hope you had a peaceful and relaxing Christmas and all the best for the New Year. cheers!

     
  • At 11:01 AM, Blogger etnobofin said…

    Thanks matt, same to you! I enjoyed the Chanukah post!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home