etnobofin

Free Parking for improvisation in multiple environments.

Monday, June 20, 2005

one million dollars: energy state

one million dollars - City Getting Down
Demo Recorded in Auckland, NZ, first half of 2001.

This blog normally being dedicated to music of great beauty and significance, I try to avoid mentioning my own modest activities. However, I'm in a band, and today our album Energy State is released in Europe. For an obscure eleven piece funksouljazzwhatever band from New Zealand, this event is significant. So I will permit myself to briefly note the occasion here on etnobofin.


ATTENTION LIECHTENSTEIN: Look for this album cover in your shops

To celebrate I thought I'd share City Getting Down, an old lo-fi demo of a $1MD favourite from the early days of the band. In fact it's the only recording I could find that isn't licensed to some record label or other. It's so old I'm not even playing on it (I joined a few months after this recording). The lovely brothers responsible are Richie Setford (vox, gat), Amos Clarke (b), Martin Schreck (tp) and Jono Goss (d).

We don't play this song live any more, but it reminds me of those naive early days of the band, before we learnt about groupies and all-night video shoots and cramming 10 people into a van for that infamous 12 hour drive to Wellington.

Apparently the CD is going to be available most places - Virgin Megastores, soulseduction.com, and citydisc in Switzerland should have it shortly, depending on the speed of distribution. soulseduction.com even has some good quality audio samples of all the tracks.

Righto. Here endeth the self promotion. Next time, some real music.

6 Comments:

  • At 8:03 PM, Blogger etnobofin said…

    Now we're talking. I can feel a bus tour of Iceland coming on :-)

     
  • At 12:16 AM, Blogger Rushan said…

    So when is it being released in North America???? Assuming it hasn't already! Maybe you guys could launch it in little old PEI :D

    I guess I'll tell Nick to look out for it in Austria when he's there.

     
  • At 7:20 AM, Blogger etnobofin said…

    I'm not sure about North America release dates - but it should be happening sometime :-) We'll at least have to look at a special release for PEI :-)

     
  • At 8:34 AM, Blogger mr.A said…

    ...Congratulations from holland

     
  • At 9:26 PM, Blogger etnobofin said…

    Thanks to everyone for their comments. I will try to keep people updated about what's happening with the album...

     
  • At 11:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey there! I am the trumpet player you mentioned with that note about City Getting Down. I think I have another old $1 MD with some songs we recorded in my house out in Piha back then.
    Kind regards
    Martin
    input@martinschreck.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home