etnobofin

Free Parking for improvisation in multiple environments.

Monday, October 03, 2005

I am officially old.

My awareness of youth music is receding as fast as my hairline.

Driving back from attending the Dianova piano recital on Saturday night, I see thousands of kids lined up on Queen Street outside Auckland's St James Theatre. It must be the Black Eyed Peas show, I assume (after all, that's what the kids are into these days, right? Hell, I even played support for the BEP's Auckland gig years ago, before their Elephunk superstardom. Yeah, I know what's going down.)

It turns out that the queue of thousands is for a gig by a Canadian punk band called Simple Plan. I have never heard of them. Until I read about the gig in the paper on Monday.

And then the first part of my order of CDs from Amazon arrives - Mingus and Art Ensemble of Chicago, both live recordings from the 1960s. It is all over. I am out of touch.


Jeff Stinco from Simple Plan. I am so past it.

3 Comments:

  • At 7:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My God... did I write that?

     
  • At 8:57 AM, Blogger etnobofin said…

    No, I wrote that, but I can see whay it may resonate with some ther readers... ;-)

     
  • At 2:55 PM, Blogger DJ durutti said…

    hey, you are only as old as your, uh, interest in music is, uh . . . er, um, as your blog uh, . . . oh never mind. I'm even older!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home