etnobofin

Free Parking for improvisation in multiple environments.

Saturday, March 12, 2005

Ray Barretto: A Hard Handed Man

Ray Barretto - Adelante Siempre Voy [Removed]
From Salsa Caliente de Nu York!: Nascente NSCD 075 [Buy Here]
Ray Barretto - Dancing Winds [Removed]
From Handprints: Concord CCD 4473 [Buy Here]

If I had the choice of being born again at any time and playing in one band, I would probably choose one of Frank Zappa's ensembles. But running a very close second choice would be Ray Barretto's salsa bands who recorded for the Fania label in the late 70's. One listen to Adelante Siempre Voy (originally released on the storming 1979 Rican/Struction) should tell you why. The other track, Dancing Winds is from the 1991 album Handprints on Concord Picante.




Weekend Hollas to...
Taxi Driver and Brother B. Deenie who've been riffing on various different versions of Spinning Wheel over on their blogs. Also to Damien at Marbecks in downtown Auckland who did me a great deal today on a Kenny Wheeler album I've been looking for ages.

4 Comments:

  • At 2:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How about posting something of that Kenny Wheeler CD soon??

    I love Kenny. Still need to improve my CD collection with his records.

    Peace.

     
  • At 8:33 AM, Blogger etnobofin said…

    I'm definitely planning a series of posts on Kenny Wheeler, but I want to make sure I do his work justice !

    Will be some posts soon.

    Richard

     
  • At 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Brilliant! I think he's underrated among the general jazz listener.

     
  • At 4:13 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hot damn! Barretto is the friggin man. My dad had one of his old singles from his radio days...I'ma have to dig it out again to see which on it is.

    Thanks for the shout!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home