etnobofin

Free Parking for improvisation in multiple environments.

Sunday, July 10, 2005

The Don Ellis Treatment

molo (gunter likes frenchfries) posted a Dave Douglas tune in his recent Night Blend compilation which inspired thoughts of other trumpet players who pushed the envelope, and I dug out my vinyl copy (a Quadrophonic recording, no less!) of the Don Ellis Orchestra album Tears of Joy.

Recorded in San Francisco in May 1971, this particular incarnation of the Ellis band welded a "conventional" big band lineup to a string quartet and a woodwind quartet, and played a set often inspired Don Ellis' interest in non-"Western" musics and non-standard time signatures.

The piano solo on Blues in Elf (11/8) is by the band's Bulgarian pianist Milcho Leviev. Samba Bajada is a Hank Levy composition, and is described by Ellis as a "samba in 9".

Don Ellis Orchestra - Blues in Elf
Don Ellis Orchestra - Samba Bajada
From Tears of Joy: Columbia GQ 30927 [Buy]

Regarding last week's tragic events in London, there is very little I can add that hasn't been said already. Che Tibby provides a useful perspective from New Zealand, and I am ashamed to note that mosques in my own country were vandalised overnight. It is clear that our common enemy is irrational and indiscriminate hatred, regardless of the perpetrators and the victims.


1 Comments:

  • At 5:46 PM, Blogger etnobofin said…

    Thanks Molo... Dave Douglas is a player who fascinates me when I hear his music, although I admit I know very little about him. I saw his quintet (DD, Rick Margitza, Uri Caine, James Genus...) at the Wellington Jazz Festival here in NZ a couple of years ago and it was awe-inspiring.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home