etnobofin

Free Parking for improvisation in multiple environments.

Sunday, July 17, 2005

Hung Up in Tokyo...again

Among Herbie Hancock's Japan-only releases from the 1970s, Directstep seems to be the hardest to get your hands on, even in Japan. I can't find it for sale online at all (Amazon says it's "currently unavailable"). I stumbled on my CD copy in Fnac Mulhouse (France) about four years ago, which proves that you never know where rarities will turn up.

Directstep was recorded in October 1978 at CBS/Sony Studios in Tokyo. Personnel are Herbie Hancock (keyboards), Webster Lewis (organ), Alphonse Mouzon (dr), Paul Jackson (b), Ray Obiedo (gt), Bennie Maupin (ts), Bill Summers (perc). And despite the fact it was 1978, the album is surprisingly listenable...

Herbie Hancock - Shiftless Shuffle
From Directstep: Sony Records SCRCS 9503 [OOP]


Alphonse Mouzon


Take the MIT Weblog Survey

3 Comments:

  • At 11:41 AM, Blogger freeman said…

    Neato! Thanks for posting this.

    I had never heard of this album, until now that is.

    There are actually 2 groups calling themselves the Headhunters that are touring right now. Herbie is performing with pop guitarist John Mayer and a few others, and is calling the outfit "Headhunters 2005". Then there is "The Original Headhunters", with Mike Clark, Bill Summers, Paul Jackson, Skerik (filling in for Bennie Maupin) and Robert Walter (filling in for Herbie). I actually saw the latter group perform about a month ago, and they were great!

     
  • At 5:45 PM, Blogger etnobofin said…

    Thanks dude, hope you enjoyed the track.

    HH with John Mayer - I hadn't heard about that collaboration. I guess one good thing could be that some John Mayer fans could discover some of Herbie's music ;-) I bet the Paul Jackson/Mike Clark band was great too, those players are mothers!

     
  • At 9:11 AM, Blogger D'Imit said…

    Loved the look and feel of your blog.

    Good taste and good vibes all around.

    I saw Alphonso live last year with Jeff Berlin on bass and man were they grooving!

    He's a cool cat, reminded me a bit of Dennis Chambers one of my favorite drummers (crazy guy)

    Drop by mine if you have the time, I think you'll be pleasently surprised.
    ;)

    http://luxusborg.blogspot.com/

    regards

     

Post a Comment

<< Home